Rock Rapids is an excellent place to live and work. The environment offers the security and peace of classic rural Midwestern communities.
Whether you are looking for a new home or purchase an existing home, Rock Rapids has an option for you. The community offers residents a wide variety of homes and lots in new subdivisions and existing neighborhoods in a variety of price levels. Rental homes and apartments, as well as low income and subsidized rent programs, are also available.
In 2016, a comprehensive housing needs analysis for Rock Rapids was conducted. The study projects housing demand from 2016 through 2025, and provided recommendations on the amount and type of housing needed in Rock Rapids over the next decade.
Current Housing Grants
City of Rock Rapids Grant Program for New Development
Single-Family Residential Lots
- Applicant must be the property owner and occupant of new home in one of the following new residential developments: o Hawkins First Addition
- Hawkins Third Addition
- South Ridge Addition
- Sunrise View Ponds
- Hawkins First Addition
- Lot must be purchased after March 1, 2017.
- Construction of home must be started within 6 months of lot purchase.
- Home must be applicant’s primary residence.
- One grant per household per lot purchased.
- Each applicant is eligible for 1 grant every 10 years.
- City of Rock Rapids and Rock Rapids Development Corporation, Inc. have allocated $100,000 to fund this program.
- The grant award is based on Lyon County tax evaluation: $100,000 – $199,999 is awarded $3,000
- $200,000 – $299,999 is awarded $4,000
- $300,000 + is awarded $5,000
- City and Rock Rapids Development Corporation, Inc. reserve the right to discontinue or change this program at any time and without prior notice.
- Funding will be on a first-come-first served basis until allocated funds are awarded.
- This program cannot be combined with any other City of Rock Rapids incentives for housing except for real estate tax abatement and Rock Rapids Municipal Utilities Energy Rebate program.
- Once the home construction and appraisal is complete, please contact Rock Rapids Development at 712-472-4585.
1. All applications must be submitted to the City of Rock Rapids, 310 South 3rd Avenue, Rock Rapids, IA 51246. Applications can be picked up at the City Office or at the office of Rock Rapids Development Corp, located at 411 First Avenue. Call 472-2553 or 472-4585 or email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com, for more info.
2. The following must be furnished with and are part of the application:
o Copy of warranty deed to your lot.
o One form of personal photo identification (driver’s license, passport or birth certificate).
o Signed and completed application.
Current Development Housing Areas
For more information on available lots, please contact either Rock Rapids Development Corporation at 712.472.4585, Frontier Bank Real Estate or Sieperda/Foltz Real Estate.