The Rock Rapids Municipal Utilities includes the charge for garbage and recycling collection on the monthly billing. The City of Rock Rapids oversees this service and sets billing policies. If you have questions regarding garbage or recycling collection, please call 472-2553 or contact them by e-mail at email@example.com.Garbage is picked up every Monday morning beginning at 4:00 A.M. Each household will be provided a 65-gallon garbage cart by their garbage hauler. The carts are owned by Denny’s Sanitation and Town & Country. The numbered carts are assigned to a specific residence and must remain at that residence.
The guidelines for using the garbage and recycling carts are:
· Set your cart curbside, in the same location each week, with the wheels and handle toward your house.
· The carts need to be 5 feet from any other obstacle (trees, cars, poles, etc.)
· Everything must be inside the appropriate cart, with the lid closed.
Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, brush, or garden trash) is not to be mixed with garbage. This waste should be taken to the tree dump, east of the fairgrounds.
Rock Rapids has a mandatory recycling program. Each household will be provided a 95-gallon garbage cart by their garbage hauler. The carts are owned by Denny’s Sanitation and Town & Country. The numbered carts are assigned to a specific residence and must remain at that residence.
Recycled items are picked up on the first and third Thursdays of each month. Please make sure your recyclables are clean and dry. Place your container out for collection by 6:00 A.M. Click here for the recycle guide. Click here for the recycle calendar for the exact dates of recycling collection.
If you have more recycling than will fit in your cart with the lid closed, please call your provider and make arrangements directly with them to pick up the excess. Check the side of your cart for which provider to contact (Denny’s Sanitation at 472-2293 or Town & Country at 472-2493).
Items that can be recycled are:
· Corrugated cardboard
· Pizza boxes
· Newspapers, including all inserts
· Catalogs, Magazines & Phone Books
· Hardcover & Paperback books, with covers removed
· Office & School paper
· Colored paper
· Shiny paper
· Junk mail
· Shredded paper, bagged separately
· Brown paper bags
· Cereal, shoe, pop, kleenix (etc.) boxes (fiber board)
· Paper egg cartons
· Paper cups
· Aluminum foil & pans
· Aluminum & Tin cans
· Empty Aerosol spray cans
· All plastic containers with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 on the bottom
· Milk & juice jugs
· Pop & Beer cans
· Pop & Water bottles
· Lotion bottles