Dr. A.C. Wubbena (1908-1985) practiced medicine in Rock Rapids for 45 years and delivered more babies during that time than the current population of Rock Rapids. For some years he was the only doctor in the community, so he was on call 24/7. He owned and operated a hospital at the corner of South Adams Street and South Second Avenue. When Merrill Pioneer Community Hospital opened in 1958, he donated all his equipment to the new facility. In addition to being the attending physician at the hospital, he operated a clinic in the building on which his mural is affixed.